Friday, April 18, 2014

A Prayer on Good Friday.

Lord Jesus,

Thank you. You didn't have to do it, but you did. It cost you your life. It was the reason that you, being 100% God and simultaneously 100% man, walked this earth. Like us. Being one of us, but with divine glory.

You took on the cost of my sin. You took on the cost of the burden, the burden of trying to live according to a law that already had doomed me to destruction.

You took my filthy bag of self-righteousness and delivered onto me a righteousness from heaven.

You died, so that I might live. Thank you Jesus. Thank you Father.

Lord, I pray that you would help me to live in that moment. In the moment of recognition that I could never earn your love. I could never be good enough. And thanks to your sacrifice, I never have to try to.

You are God alone who extends grace alone to a sinner, like me, lonely in my mess.

I could imagine how I would feel being around in the days where you gave your life on Calvary. Having every promise that you would rise, you died. You didn't just die, but it was a crucifixion that should have been mine. I am the adulteress woman for in my heart I have lusted. I am the murderer for in my heart I have hated. It was my price to pay, but you covered it in full. I think I would have been sad Lord, to see you in the manner of which you gave your life. I would have felt guilty, but for that reason too, you died, to free us from condemnation.

Thank you Lord. Thank you.

Lord, I know that you rose again on the third day and that gives this whole thing meaning, but at this very moment I want to take a second to remember the sacrifice that changed everything.

Help me to know that this grace you provide is lavish and consuming. Oh it overwhelms me at times, but the truth is you don't need my help. My help only weakens the gift that you give.

So I'll make no empty promises to you my Lord, I just want to say thank you. I just want to know you, more and more, to live in this love that you have shown, by dying on a tree.

Lord, you did it just for me.

In Jesus' Name, Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment