Saturday, April 12, 2014

Words with Friends.

I talk a lot. 

I was thinking about this today as I met with some sisters for breakfast. I just had to get out my silly story about how I thought a beer had upset my stomach when it was really the stomach flu. It really didn't matter that I mentioned it. We're friends and sisters in the Lord, no judgment included, so it was cool. 

The thing was that I was so excited to share that (Let's chalk it up to not being around too many adults during the week.) that I wasn't really listening as much as I could have to the story that someone was sharing because it reminded me of my story and I got excited about sharing it. 

That happens to me a lot. 

Don't get me wrong. I'm not getting all woe-is-me about it. It's just something that God is allowing me to see so I think He is bringing this to my attention for a reason. 

Words are getting my attention. My words. 

With our words we can tear down or build up. We can build cages of judgment with them or we can be inclusive and life giving. We can serve others with our words or we can serve ourselves. 

The most excellent way to use my words is to love others. It's also the hardest at times. 

But here's the thing, love isn't is a script that we rehearse. Love comes from our hearts and our lips echo it's sentiments. 

I think that's why it can be so tricky. There's not really a 3-step rule for me to memorize and practice or an answer book that I can grade my responses against. We like to think so, but that's not the case. It's a heart thing. 

So here's my plan. I'm going to surrender to God. Allow Him to show me my faults through His Word. Only His Word can tear down my weaknesses while giving me strength. Only He can see past my words into my heart. 

So in case you haven't noticed, the beer story was not really a big deal; but it was pretty cool how God used such an otherwise insignificant moment to show me something much more important. 

Not one moment is lost in the Lord. He has the marvelous ability to make ALL things work together for the good of those who love God and who are called according to His purpose. (Romans 8:28)

That's us, brothers and sisters in the Lord. Be encouraged. 

No comments:

Post a Comment