Monday, May 19, 2014

What ASL Taught Me About The Gospel

There I was at the concert of one of my favorite bands, but my eyes were glued on her for a big chunk of the time.

She was dressed in all black and though standing on a platform she was still lower than the main stage.

The Roots played, sang, rapped, and simply did what what they do. (which is amazing. AH-MAZING!)

She bobbed her head and was so into the music, but to some she was the only music they would hear that night.

She was the ASL interpreter, and she didn't miss a beat.

I couldn't help but to think to myself, "Man, I want to be like her!!!!!"

I didn't even know that concerts had ASL interpreters. My mind was blown ya'll. That was two days ago, and I am just getting over it. (Don't judge me. lol!)

Yes, I convinced myself that I should learn sign language, but I still won't be like her. I just won't. She was not only having fun, but to me she was such an accurate portrayal of the artistry that she was interpreting. Music is more than words. A song is more than a beat.

That was the something about her that captivated even those of us who could hear with our ears.

The Gospel is more than a song.
It's the beat of our lives as Christians.
It's the rhythm of grace with lyrics of truth. And the world can not hear it.
Oh but it's good!!! It's so good! The Roots as brilliant as they are (and man, oh man, are they brilliant) pale in comparison to the goodness of the Gospel.

It's our job as interpreters to share the Gospel so others may have a chance to hear.

There were two ASL interpreters at the concert that night. Both did their job, but one was captivating to me. She appealed to me because of her passion, personality, and enthusiasm. Yet neither failed.

So the overall lesson here, in context with the Gospel, is however you do it, just do it. 


This Gospel is too good ya'll, for anyone to miss the opportunity to hear it. But do it justice, do it kindly, respectfully, and if ever rejected, shake the dust off your feet, and keep moving. Let's do our part, and allow God to do His.

The specific lesson to me was one of grace. I probably won't sound or look like you when I do it; and you probably won't look or sound like me when you do either. You might use scripts. That's cool for some, but to be honest, I have a hard time with those. I blog and post statuses. You might be one who doesn't enjoy utilizing social media. All of that is cool.

Either way, my prayer is that the Gospel would be so embedded in us and woven into the fabric of our lives, that regardless of whether in church, on the streets with evangelism props, or if you happen to be sitting at a bar sipping a drink (Yes, an alcoholic one.) Jesus would be glorified and The Gospel preached.

[Disclaimer: That's me though. It doesn't matter whether you take a sip or don't. If you don't, please don't take this as a suggestion to do so. And if you do, assuming you are over the age limit of 21, let's agree not to get drunk. You can't bear the fruit of self control while being drunk. And for God's sake (quite literally), stay away from the stuff if you can't quite figure out your limits.]

The fact of the matter is that you have to work out your own salvation with fear and trembling. The truth is that we have a job to do. Let's just do it. Let's not waste time judging one's life or glorifying our own. (aka ministry. We all have one.) Let's just keep encouraging one another to do this thing and to keep going strong. We are all one body. The people that God will have you to reach will be different from the ones that God will use me to reach. It's how this thing works, and it's awesome.

Both interpreters were useful that night.

You are important. I am important, but the show will go on without either of us.

Let's get to work.

"...Every time one of them opens his mouth, Christ is proclaimed, so I just cheer them on! " Philippians 1:18

Lord, use us, but let our motives be true and our hearts right before you.


No comments:

Post a Comment